[SPARCbook] SPARCbook

Sunder sunder at anon7.sunder.net
Tue May 30 07:03:26 CDT 2000

If that doesn't do the trick, and you're inclined/skilled you might want
to take a trip down to your local Radio Shack (or wherever you can) and
get 10 NiNH rechargeable AA batteries, then crack open the Tadpole pack
and replace the cells.

There's supposed to be a temperature sensor in there to prevent
overcharging, be careful not to damage this when you swap the batteries
out.  Likely it's just a thermoresistor.

BTW: deep discharning and recharging does work quite well.  I've had a
battery pack that would issue first warnings at 75% of the battery level,
and second warnings after 64%.  About five charge/deep discharge cycles, I
could bring it down to near 5% for the first warning!

I would suggest that you first shut down your Tadpole, remove any PCMCIA
cards, and the hard drive (to prevent cooking them,) and then turning the
Tadpole on.

Leave it at the open boot prompt, then let it discharge the battery until
the Tadpole shuts off.  Once off, apply the power supply, and let it
charge all the way to 100%.  Remove the power supply and repeat this
whole thing about five times.

The most I managed to get out of a Tadpole (with PCMCIA and hard drives,
and Solaris running) is almost an hour.

 + ^ + :Surveillance cameras|Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\
  \|/  :aren't security.  A |share them, you don't hang them on your/\|/\
<--*-->:camera won't stop a |monitor, or under your keyboard, you   \/|\/
  /|\  :masked killer, but  |don't email them, or put them on a web  \|/
 + v + :will violate privacy|site, and you must change them very often.
--------_sunder_ at _sunder_._net_------- http://www.sunder.net ------------