[SPARCbook] Solaris 2.6 with > 8bit color

Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl
Mon May 1 14:43:29 CDT 2000

On Mon, 1 May 2000, daemons wrote:

> I recently loaded the 5/98 release of Solaris 2.6 on a 3GX.  I tried thre
> times to install the NCE packages from tadpole.com but each time they
> broke the linker and boot loader and rendered the machine totally useless.
> I tried running the NCE binaries from my other 3GX with 2.5.1 with no
> avail.. fbconfig would just crash the screen..so how in heck can I get >
> 8bbp on this thing ?

NCE from Solaris 2.5.1. won't work as reported in the FAQ:

   .4. What OS does the SparcBook 3 run and do I need to purchase from
   Tadpole?

   The SparcBook 3 will run Sunos 4.1.3-u1 and any Solaris version up to
   and including Solaris 2.6! Not all of the original distributions from
   SUN will work fine. But apparantly Solaris 2.6 (5/98) seems to install
   fine. But note that you still need the add-on's listed below.

   One can download the additional packages required to let Solaris 2.6
   run on your sparc book from:
   ftp.tadpole.com/pub/sbu/S3-patches/Solaris_2.6/

   The file that contains all of them is:
   ftp.tadpole.com/pub/sbu/S3-patches/Solaris_2.6/TTI_Solaris_2.6_packag
   es.tar.Z

   However this does not include the NCE graphical utilities. These are
   not around at present times but may be available in the future.
   (Unlikely for Solaris 2.6 now that Solaris 8 is out.)

   The solaris commands to use instead of NCE are:

     * battery (for battery management),
     * locations/chloc/rmloc/saveloc/lsloc (for the network location
       stuff),
     * diskid (for disk management),
     * fbconfig (for monitor setup),
     * kbconfig (keyboard),
     * msconfig (mouse),
     * lsformat (format floppy),
     * syshw (for other hardware tuning),

   Checkout their respective manual pages for more details.

   Alternatives are Linux, openBSD and NetBSD. (See also: Q: .12., Q:
   .14., Q: .15. and Q: .13.)

   Last change: 20000410

Granted is does not tell you explicitly that NCE will break down the house
if you run it on anything else but Solaris 2.5.1 but it dows tell you that
there is no NCE for Solaris 2.6

Getting Solaris 2.6 from TadPole won't help. As it does not contain NCE on
the CD. It's not there and the command line utilities ar all you have.

Hugo.

hvdkooij at caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/