[SPARCbook] Power Saving Screen Saver and SuspendingSparcbook?

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Wed May 31 15:06:03 CDT 2000

neal wise wrote:

> I think it's called dtscreen. There are arguements to call the various
> savers. Too bad though... kbats.whaeteveritis has that cool old sun bats
> screen saver. Love the bats...
>
> dtscreen should be in /usr/dt/bin (i'm thinking CDE on AIX though...)

I've seen that, but it lacks a power feature.  man dtscreen provides modes to
select the screen saver in question, but the power saving one isn't there. It
is in the CDE styles screen pannel.

> > My second question is, how do I add a suspend feature to KDE?  Is there
> > some command line equivalent that I can tell Solaris to save it's memory
> > to a .CPR file and shut down? (i.e. Suspend action from under CDE?)
>
> You might be able to find the config for CDE somewhere under either
> /usr/dt (distributed CDE stuff) or /etc/dt (localizations).
>
> I'm curious about the 6gb disk option. I've recently imported a 3GS into
> australia. I have a 1.2g with an OpenBSD snapshot on it which I'm using
> right now :) but I've found a source with 3 540m and 1 340m brand new (I
> gues that would actually be unused given the age :) disks. I was thinking
> about grabbing one of those sleds to use with one of the IDE<->SCSI
> thingies and a bigger, newer disk. I see one complaint about heat with the
> big disk and someone else saying they've had no probs. Wht model of disk
> is giving you no issues and what would I expect to pay for it and a
> converter?

I've heard good things from other folks about using other drives, so I'd say
stay away from the Toshiba 6.0gb disks and you should be ok.  Perhaps an IBM
drive would do.  Remeber, you'll need the ADTX converter to use bigger drives.
You mention you have a 1.2Gb - this means you have a real SCSI disk and lack
the ADTX IDE-SCSI bridge, so you'll have to buy that as well.  The guys that
bought the 6gb ide disk/scsi bridge from www.powerbook1.com had no heat
problems, so that's an idea for you.

--
 + ^ + :Surveillance cameras|Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\