[SPARCbook] Turning on External Monitor

Bob Krzaczek boba at cis.rit.edu
Wed Jun 28 14:14:04 CDT 2000

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Les Gondor wrote:
; On 28/06/00, 01:28:45 PM, Ken Mandelberg <km at mathcs.emory.edu> wrote:
; > Is there a key sequence for switching from the LCD to the
; > external monitor on a Sparcbook 3GS?
;
; I don't know specifically about the 3GS, but for the 3GX it's
; fbconfig -m modenumber

Ken, you don't mention what OS you're running; this note applies to
Solaris 2.6.

As far as I know, there is no key sequence to turn the external video on
and off.  As Les noted, "fbconfig" is the utility to use.

If you don't want to read through the different framebuffer modes, and
you're happy with your current framebuffer configuration,

	fbconfig -e 1

will turn the external monitor on without changing other settings.  As you
might guess,

	fbconfig -e 0

will turn it back off.

You can do these commands at any time, even if you're already running an X
server (other fbconfig mode changes will require you to exit the window
system).

Good luck,

// boba

--