[SPARCbook] First Thoughts: Tadpole/RDI UltraBook

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Jun 27 06:12:40 CDT 2000

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 08:52:15AM +0100, Bob Hoekstra wrote:
> Bill Bradford wrote:
> > Just got the Ultrabook review unit in.  First thoughts:
> >         Nice 14.1" 1024x768 LCD screen.  256 colors simultaneously.
> >         Creator3D framebuffer, 128mb RAM, 170mhz CPU, 10gig IDE HD.
> >         Based around a variant of the Sun Ultra AX OEM motherboard.
> I'm a bit confused. Why 256 colours? With Creator3D there should be 24
> bit colour up to high resolution (can't remember how much memory this
> frame buffer has, but more than enough for 1024x768 :-)

Oh, the machine will *do* 24bit, but the *lcd itself* isnt able to display
more than 256 at once (from a TrueColor pallette).

You dont really notice its only 256color.  The display kicks butt; the only
better one I've seen was on a Toshiba Libretto or Sony Vaio.

Bill

--
| Bill Bradford      |  www.sunhelp.org |