[SPARCbook] HylaFAX is great! (less than 30 minutes to install...)

John Altstatt jea at altstatt.com
Mon Jun 19 23:53:35 CDT 2000

Ken Hansen wrote:

> Well, based on the advise of a fellow list-member, I have installed
> HylaFAX on my SPARCBook 3GX and got it using the internal modem
> *in less than 30 minutes*! I didn't even really read the instructions,
> I simply did a pkgadd of the 18 Meg package, installed [all] (since
> my laptop is to be both client and server), then poked around for
> the 'sendfax' command, I simply issued:
>
>         # sendfax -d 5551212 /etc/passwd
>
> (where 5551212 is my intended FAX machine number) and when I
> got back to the office the FAX was there waiting for me!
>
> The only thing that took a bit of time was specifying the modem to use,
> the internal modem is /dev/cua/c, and you want to answer /cua/c -
> the HylaFAX package knows to pre-pend the /dev and won't accept
> a response with /dev already specified...
>
> I highly recommend this package - I will try and set up inbound FAXes
> tonight/tomorrow...
>
> Thanks for the pointer,
>
> Ken

Ken;
You will want to install "tkhylafax" which is a tk based GUI for Hylafax. Makes sending
faxes
very easy. I've used it for years. Next, there are hylafax clients for all your other
(non-unix)
computers which will use your hylafax server on the sparc to send faxes. Hylafax and
tkhylafax
are highly recommended.

-John Altstatt