[SPARCbook] Next step FAX from SPARCBook under Solaris 2.6 - advice?

Mark G. Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Mon Jun 19 10:49:59 CDT 2000

Hi,

> Hello all,
>     This weeks task is to get FAXing up and running off the SPARCBook,
> so I'm asking for advice - which of the currently available packages works
> well with SOlaris 2.6 on the SPARCBook with the internal modem? I am
> hoping for ease of install, ease of use and that's about it. My needs aren't
> great - I want to be able to generate/send a fax from a command line, and
> maybe from Star Office (any print driver/interfaces availabe for the FAX
> software?).

I'm delighted with HylaFax (http://www.hylafax.org/).

It's a little complicated to build and install, however there are good
scripts provided to do most of it for you, and there is a very helpful
mailing list of people working with the software.

If I remember correctly the software recognized the Internal modem
just fine, and there was nothing SPARCBook-specific about the fax
software setup and operation that I've encountered.

>     If/when I am successful, I will write up a short note outlining the =
> steps needed to add to Hugo's FAQ, focusing on the SPARCBook-specific issues.
>
>    Thanks in advance for any information/pointers,

You might not find any SPARCBook-specific issues with this software, unless
perhaps there are some modem settings that need adjustment.

-Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com -- http://www.misty.com/)