[SPARCbook] Flopy/Removable Storage

Matthew Haas wedge at onlineimage.com
Mon Jun 12 10:56:30 CDT 2000

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000 Oscar.G.Farah at ccmail.census.gov wrote:

> I plugged in a SCSI HP Floppy 3 1/2" in the SCSI port of a 3XP.
>
> -  When I ran 'probe-scsi', I was informed that the Floppy is a removable
> storage device

Notice what SCSI ID the SCSI floppy is on.

> -  When I entered 'test floppy', the response was, cannot find device.

"floppy" is an alias pointing to SCSI ID 5, the "standard" for a SCSI
floppy disk on a Sun system.

> -  I also tried 'test removable storage' and the machine could not find that
> device either.

I am not sure if this is a valid device? (You can type devalias at the
Open Boot Prom to see all the aliases).

> Is there anything I must do to make a floppy be recognized as a  "floppy"?  I am
> new at this and any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

I suspect you just need to adjust the SCSI ID to 5 and try it again.

 -    |||       Atari 8-bit!  Star Wars * SPARCbook 3GX * SUMMER!!    -
-     |||      400/800/XL/XE  Battlestar: Galactica * SPARC * Linux    -
- |  | | |  | 2600/5200/7800  StarRaiders * StarTrek * Galaga * SCSI   -
 - ||  |  ||     Lynx/Jaguar  NetBSD 1.4.2 * Descent * Voltron * UNIX -