[SPARCbook] Upgrading GS to GX?

Rainer Canavan rainer at canavan.de
Fri Jun 9 20:58:40 CDT 2000

> On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Rainer Canavan wrote:
>
> > Well, now I know that I probably don't need to change the hostid. It
> > still works with the NVRam deleted. It thinks it's a 3XP, but the
> > Display still works perfectly.
>
> Wait, which CPU did you put in which which display? Just so we're clear on
> what happened, let us know the configuration...

I'm pretty sure it was the CPU. The display was working well for a few
minutes, but when I plugged in the CPU from the broken GX, smoke was
poring out after about 30 seconds...

> > Well, the upgrade kindof failed ;-(. Something's
> > sending out small white smoke signs in the lower left corner, no matter
> > whaich cpu board I use, plus, it doesn't like the external power supply
> > anymore. Otherwise, with the 110MHz CPU, the system did work as expected.
>
> Lower left corner sounds like where the battery circuit connects.  Might
> be not too hard to fix if you can figure out what.  That would also
> explain it not liking the external power supply.
>
> I'd be very careful to make sure the smoke isn't coming out of the battery
> pack - these tend to explode. :( I know you're saying IC emitting smoke
> below, but make sure it's the IC and not something under it.  If it is an
> IC, repairs will likely require good soldering skills, perhaps surface
> mount soldering tools.

Yes, hope you have these skills ... You're going to have some fun soldering
those things off and on the Baseboard. I'll leave it to you to find
the cause.

> It is possible that the 3GX CPU board is somewhat bad in that it works,
> but has a short, or draws too much current and stresses other components,

I suspect that exactly that is the case. very odd indeed, as there's
nothing getting hot on the CPU board itsself. at least not that i could
feel it.

> etc.  It could also be a screw dropped in unnoticed, or something else
> shorted it...

Well, the same ICs are throwing bubbles, as were on the broken baseboard.
It would be quita a coincidence if the same parts were shorted by dust
or screws in both cases.

Rainer