[SPARCbook] Wireless 802.11 on Sparcbook?

Ian Spray iws at tadpole.co.uk
Wed Jun 7 10:53:01 CDT 2000

On 07-Jun-00 Matthew Haas wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Ken Hansen wrote:
>
> On a similar idea-- if ISDN was not affordably available, how conceivably
> possible/expensive would it be to either:
>
> 1. Make some device which lets you use that ISDN port to dial into your
> ISP's 56k lines...
>
> 2. Make some device which uses that ISDN port and lets you use cellular
> in order to connect to your favorite ISPs 56k lines :) (or 33.6/28.8)
>
> I don't know how affordable/possible such a thing can be...

I not going to comment on the ISDN kludge (I would personally say not a
chance), but you can use a 56k PCMCIA modem at full speed without any
problems.  I do this in a plain S3 (50MHz CPU) and get 5/6kbps depending
upon the compression used.

This is under Solaris 2.6, so it's not much use to anyone using Linux or
BSD, and you do need to take care that the PCMCIA card is a hardware modem,
as recently some cards have been coming that are part SoftModem.  This is
with a Pace NB56 modem (not on the official list), although I haven't
finished messing with the voice or fax side of things yet.

Again, not officialy supported, I have an ActionTec SSFDC Card Adapter
(SmartMedia<>PCMCIA) which functions fine under Solaris 7 with Olympus
camera cards:

  mount -F pcfs /dev/dsk/c1d1p1 /mnt

(just put the correct /dev/dsk device in of course :)

--
Ian Spray          :  Software Engineer     :  Tadpole-RDI
iws at tadpole.co.uk  :  +44 (0) 1223 428 224  :  http://www.tadpole.com/