[SPARCbook] Wireless 802.11 on Sparcbook?

Matthew Haas wedge at onlineimage.com
Wed Jun 7 10:34:41 CDT 2000

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Ken Hansen wrote:

> For Europe, Seimans makes a wireless ISDN phone that allows you to plug
> your laptop into the wireless handset and make 128K data calls over the
> wireless phone connection. The computer needs to have an ISDN port, and
> that is what the phone connects to... I just wish the SPARCBooks had an
> ISDN port... Wait, what is that "extra" phone jack on the back...

That extra jack next to the onboard 14.4 modem (I'm referencing this off
my SPARCbook 3GX) is indeed ISDN.

I've been wondering about similar devices, if not for wireless ISDN, what
about for just the modem? I know they make some sort of converter dohickey
that gives you a 'dialtone' for a cellular connection.

On a similar idea-- if ISDN was not affordably available, how conceivably
possible/expensive would it be to either:

1. Make some device which lets you use that ISDN port to dial into your
ISP's 56k lines...

2. Make some device which uses that ISDN port and lets you use cellular
in order to connect to your favorite ISPs 56k lines :) (or 33.6/28.8)

I don't know how affordable/possible such a thing can be...

 -    |||       Atari 8-bit!  Star Wars * SPARCbook 3GX * SUMMER!!    -
-     |||      400/800/XL/XE  Battlestar: Galactica * SPARC * Linux    -
- |  | | |  | 2600/5200/7800  StarRaiders * StarTrek * Galaga * SCSI   -
 - ||  |  ||     Lynx/Jaguar  NetBSD 1.4.2 * Descent * Voltron * UNIX -