[SPARCbook] Wireless 802.11 on Sparcbook?

Ken Hansen n2vip at bellatlantic.net
Wed Jun 7 08:34:32 CDT 2000

I don't think so - most of the cards I have seen require drivers and are not
"standard" (as in "like a 3Com card") interface.

I wonder if anyone makes a unit that acts as a bridge - connects your
10BaseT
port to a wireless unit (cigarette pack size, due to power req.) and that
connects
to a 802.11 base unit? That would be a nice unit, but since there would be a
small CPU and 2nd network interface, such a unit would probably cost 2x what
a "normal" 802.11 card would cost, if it were even available...

For Europe, Seimans makes a wireless ISDN phone that allows you to plug
your laptop into the wireless handset and make 128K data calls over the
wireless
phone connection. The computer needs to have an ISDN port, and that is what
the phone connects to... I just wish the SPARCBooks had an ISDN port...
Wait,
what is that "extra" phone jack on the back...

Just a thought,

Ken