[SPARCbook] Display problem with Netscape 4.73 under Solaris 2.6

Sunder sunder at anon7.sunder.net
Mon Jun 5 07:40:53 CDT 2000

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Rainer Canavan wrote:

> Ok, just if anyone still cares: It's something from the 2.6_Recommended
> Patchset that breaks Netscape. 4.73 works fine with bare Solaris 2.6 or
> the tadpole patches installed, but shows the scrolling problem as soon
> as the Recommended Patchset is installed. I'll try backing out the patches
> one by one when I get home today...

Yes, it seems we have to be very careful when applying Sun Reccomended
Patch clusters.  I lost my PCMCIA driver on Sol7 with that cluster.  I
haven't tracked down which patch did the trick, but when I get a chance...

In a none non-SPARCBook patch related issue, I've had some messed up
machines at work as one of the patches changed the dlopen call and broke
anything using it.  So in general, even though it's a Recommended patch
cluster, backup - or at least let it save the old files so you can run the
backout patch script.

On a somewhat less related note: Are there alternatives to Netscape
Navigator / Mozilla?  I know there is (puke) IE4 and IE5, and I've tried
to install them, but they never started up, so I removed them, but are
there other browsers available?  I've played with Star Office's desktop
and it really is a browser, but it doesn't seem full featured.  There is
Hot Java, but it too lacks a lot...

 + ^ + :Surveillance cameras|Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\
  \|/  :aren't security.  A |share them, you don't hang them on your/\|/\
<--*-->:camera won't stop a |monitor, or under your keyboard, you   \/|\/
  /|\  :masked killer, but  |don't email them, or put them on a web  \|/
 + v + :will violate privacy|site, and you must change them very often.
--------_sunder_ at _sunder_._net_------- http://www.sunder.net ------------