[SPARCbook] (no subject)

Raymond Lau raylau2000 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 25 19:13:35 CDT 2000

>.26. Can you upgrade the tadpole's maxed-out 2GB drive to something a bit
>larger?

>So it seems. Just pop the drive & converter assembly out of the
>caddy, move the converter to a new 2.5" 12.5mm IDE drive, reassemble
>the caddy, pop back in
>and format!

>Worked fine for IBM 6.4 (IBM Model DADA-26480 4200RPM 13420 Cyl+2Alt > 16
>Hd 63 Sec) with new install of SOLARIS 2.6 with above-mentioned
>patches... No reason to think larger drives would not work...

>Please note that this only works for the 2GB disk as it allready has > a
>SCSI to IDE convertor. All smaller disks are fully SCSI and lack >
>the convertor.

I am replacing the original 2G IDE drive with the IBM DADA-26480
6.4G IDE drive.  When I tried to installed the solaris 2.6 by cdrom,
it showed that it is

ADTX-AXSITS5324011D-AD60 cy 13422 alt 2 hd 15 sec 63

But I cannot label the drive, it gave me the following error message:

Warning: error setting drive geometry
Warning: error writing VTOC
Warning: no backup labels
Write label failed

Then, I tried to label the drive after I get into the "format" mode.

I enter the followings:

name of data cyclinders: 13420
name of alternate cyclinder[2]: y
name of physical cyclinder:[13422]:y
number of heads: 16
physical number of heads [defaults]: y
number of data sector/track: 63
physical sectors/track[defaults]: y
rpm of drive[3600]: 4200
format time[defaults]: y
track skew [defaults]: y
tracks per zone [defaults]: 4
alternate tracks [defaults]: y
cache control [defaults]: y
prefetch threshold [defaults]: y
minimum prefetch [defaults]: y
maximium prefetch [defaults]: y
disk name: DADA-26480

Then, it gave me the followin error message:

Illegal request during read:
ASC: 0x21 ASCQ: 0x0
Warning: error reading

Any cule????