[SPARCbook] no boot?

Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl
Mon Jul 24 17:47:05 CDT 2000

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000 Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Kurt Huhn wrote:
>
> > I've not heard of any issues with dead NVRAMs in Sparcbooks, but that
> > doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
>
> As far I understood they have happened. I know some SUN units have a NVRAM
> with battery that have an estimated expected liffespan of 4 to 5 years.
>
> My IPX had a NVRAM that died and I was able to recover the unit after I
> got a new NVRAM.
>
> Time to start surgery on the 3GX.

Did some surgery.

The NVRAM is labeled:

	ST ODD0J614
	M4T28-BR12SH1
	TIMEKEEPER TM
	SNAPHAT TM
	USA PAT PEND
	Litium Battery

So it shouldn't die if left alone for a while if the Lithium Battery is
working as should.

I noticed the power supply supplies 11.88V without any load which seems a
bit low to me. The battery pack does measure from 10.50V up to 11.55V
depending on how you measure it. (With 5 pins you got some combinations to
go but I'll sketch it for you.

Contacts:

 A B C D E

AB =  10.5V
AC =  11.5V
AD =  11.5V
AE =   0V
BC =   0V
BD =   0V
BE = -10.5V
CD =   0V
CE = -11.5V
DE = -11.5V

Which make me believe the battery pack is not too well anymore.

But without the batterypack the unit seems to cycle through some sort cyle
making a soft click/sighing noise. (I'm quite unable to describe the exact
sound)

So at present it's quite unclear what might be the real problem.

Hugo.

hvdkooij at caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/