[SPARCbook] no boot?

Ken Hansen n2vip at bellatlantic.net
Mon Jul 24 09:13:57 CDT 2000

The design of desktop SPARCs *may* influence laptop design, but I wonder
if Tadpole used an NVRAM chip like those found in desktop SPARCs - many
laptops will instead have a small litium battery to maintain the clock when
power
is removed. Once a LiON battery discharges, you simply re-charge it, W/O
reaching for a soldering iron/chip extractor.

I suspect that since it is quite possible for a laptop to sit idle for an
extended
period, and because they are so hard to open, that there is reason to
suspect
Tadpole may have gone for a more "modern" method. Accessing an NVRAM
chip in a SPARC workstation is a trivial matter, at least in all cases I am
familiar
with...

Ken

Note: When *my* SPARCbook sat idle waiting for me to find time to configure
it
I left it plugged in to an outlet, turned off. There does not appear to have
been any
degredation to the battery...