[SPARCbook] Flakey keyboards, framebuffers, and power manglement

Mat Maessen tomatoe at nycap.rr.com
Fri Jul 21 23:59:07 CDT 2000

Well, it seems that disconnecting the connections for the eraser-nub-pointer
inside my Sparcbook has cured my keyboard problems. I'm stuck with using an
external mouse for now, but I'll replace the keyboard later. For now the machine
works at least.
Now that I've gotten Solaris 2.6 loaded and patched up on the box, I've been
playing with the framebuffer and power configs, and I've got a couple of
questions:

1. Is it possible to get the X server into a "pan-and-scan" mode, where the
virtual desktop resolution is larger than the screen size? I've been playing
with fbconfig without too much luck... I know it can be done on the Solaris
1.1.2 install that's on the other HD I've got. Also, will the framebuffer
support 16-bit color at a resolution higher than 800x600? I've got no mode
definitions that indicate that this is possible, though there should be enough
video RAM to do 1152x900 in 16-bit color.

2. Is there a hot key already defined to do a suspend? I'd like to map the power
button to do this, but don't know if it's possible. It'd be nice to be able to
suspend without pulling up a menu.

Back to playing...

-Mat