[SPARCbook] changing domains/IP-addresses on the fly

Sunder ROOT root at anon7b.sunder.net
Sun Feb 20 17:07:43 CST 2000

Something like this

#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/ifconfig le0 0.0.0.0 down
/usr/sbin/ifconfig le0 $1 netmask $2 up
route delete 0.0.0.0
route add $3 newgateway

Where the above is a script that you pass three parameters to.  The first
is you new IP, the second is your netmask, the third, your new gateway.

You can get away with leaving the DNS server list in /etc/resolv.conf
alone, but it may take longer to resolve names depending on how "far" away
you are from the servers.

It won't change your domain/hostname, but that shouldn't be too big a deal
unless you're running something on your sparcbook that requires it such as
sendmail. :)  Fixing that makes things more complex as just running
hostname $4 for example won't change what those services think is the
name.