[SPARCbook] NVRAM on SB1

Emanuelsson Paer Paer.Emanuelsson at kst.siemens.de
Sun Feb 20 13:00:38 CST 2000

I cleaned the keyboard according to recommendations from this list; it now
works great!  I also installed a larger disk.

Unfortunately, the NVRAM gave up its life so I ordered a couple M48T02-15
from www.mouser.com.  I had to shave off quite a bit of material from the
side of the chip as the packaging is much larger than the original --
something
to be aware of.  I didn't encounter any metal while doing this though.

Sadly it doesn't work.  The S1MON comes so far as to say:
Fast Diagnostics ... PASSED
Initializing Memory ... COMPLETED
...then it hangs and is completely dead.  If I hit escape while it performs
diagnostics, it simply says "Fast Diagnostics ... STOPPED", then it's just
as dead as before.  Haven't found any key combinations to get to a prompt.

On the other hand, I changed disk and NVRAM at the same time; perhaps the
new disk is the culprit?  Any ideas?  I also noticed that the original NVRAM
was an MK48T02B-25.  I hope the "B" is not significant?

Assuming I eventually get things working (have to disassemble it again,
sigh),
what would be a correct HostID system type for a SparcBook1?  And the first
three ethernet bytes?

Thanks - Pell