[SPARCbook] 3GX: Reboot wedged at 0C0

patl at phoenix.volant.org patl at phoenix.volant.org
Fri Feb 11 19:10:10 CST 2000

My SPARCbook 3GX has been happily chugging along for a couple
of months, sitting in one place and running off the AC adapter.
Today, I decided it was time to re-boot it; so I logged out of
CDE, started a console session and used 'init' to reboot.

But it wedged early in the reboot sequence.  The screen never
comes on.  The status display shows the battery charge level
and runs through the sequence: 0D0 (very briefly), 007 (for
several seconds), then 0C0 where it hangs.  Every now and then
it will beep, flash a 'Watchdog reset' message and run through
the sequence again.

The only Pause sequence that seems to work is Pause-R.

I tried removing power, both external and battery; but when the
battery is plugged back in, it just beeps and goes through the
boot sequence, up to the wedge, again.

Before I risk opening it up to check the NVRAM battery, can
anyone here cast some light on what the 0C0 means; or suggest
some other approach to fixing it?

Thanks,
-Pat