[SPARCbook] getting Solaris 2.6 for developers

Miles Nordin sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 8 13:06:13 CST 2000

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 11:58:01AM -0600,
> Most definitly NOT. The deal is between YOU and and SUN. So making copies
> for whatever is seen as bad. (Not even for backup purposes.)

I understand what you mean, but:

 1. Forbidding backup copies is a violation of Fair Use laws.  so,
    even if it is illegal by some interpretation, the outcome of
    hypothetical litigation between you and Sun if they tried to
    prosecute you for making a backup copy is far from unambiguous.

 2. Backup copies aside...When I needed 2.6, I got several offers from
    people willing to give it to me, people both inside and outside Sun.
    I told them I had a license for 2.6 and had scratched the CD (which
    is true), so it's not exactly the same thing.  I also have friends
    who work at Sun, some of whom I am pretty certain would happily
    ``loan'' me a boxed copy sitting on a shelf.  Sun employees are
    not nearly so frightened of Sun's almighty hammer as we seem to be,
    and they are in a much more precarious position than we are w.r.t.
    defying the supposed Will of Sun.

 3. I will happily state my willingness to dupe Solaris 2.6 For Developrs
    CD's for anyone who has a license to future versions of
    Developers/Enthusiasts Solaris, here in public, for what it's worth.
    but the turnaround time will be terrible with me because I am traveling
    for months right now.  BTW, the 2.6 CD I had can be copied with dd
    and cdrecord, though I think you might need to be careful from which
    ``slice'' you do the dd.

It's good to know what the laws are.  It's also good for both you and Sun
to have your computer working and running Solaris.  My approach to this
issue, when I had the same problem, wasn't nearly so extremist and anal
retentive as the way this discussion might be headed.