[SPARCbook] Adding an external SCSI disk to SparcBook.

Julian Coleman J.D.Coleman at newcastle.ac.uk
Wed Apr 12 16:04:30 CDT 2000

Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl wrote:
> I'm not sure it will support a disk on that SCSI ID. Historically the fist
> SCSI disk has ID 3 and the second on has ID 0. The SCSI floppy drive that
> comes along with the unit has SCSI ID 5.

Hmm, this triggers the memory that SunOS would only support disks on ID's
0 - 3, tapes on 4 and 5 and CDROM on 6 (this was wired into the kernel
config, you could change it by building a 'non-standard' kernel).  I thought
Solaris was more flexible (via boot -r).  Also, historically, SunOS mapped
the drives :

	Drive	SCSI ID
	sd0	3
	sd1	1
	sd2	2
	sd3	0

The boot ROMs of Sun4c and Sun4m machines also have this mapping by default.
You could try moving the disk to id 1 and see if it picks it up there.

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/