[SPARCbook] MHz

Mark G. Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Tue Apr 11 21:05:57 CDT 2000

Hi,

> On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Ken Hansen wrote:
> > Do you really hope to save that much power with a slower CPU, or does
> > your system just seem "too fast!"
>
> Nope, more of an obsession to be able to use it for a little longer (doing
> trivial tasks-- not kernel compiles) before it heats up to the point where
> I start to worry about it. Power consumption is not an issue, I try to

I noted that my SPARCBook-3 running the Tadpole distribution of Solaris-4.1.4,
has options under the NCE gui to slow down the processor to save power.  I
have not confirmed that the same OS on a Tadpole-3GX does in fact slow down
the processor, but it may be that there is actually support for doing
this under software control, just not accessible with syshw and friends.

I will post an update when I have a chance to pull out my old 4.1.4 disk and
try some speed tests to see if the option works.

Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com -- http://www.misty.com/)