[SPARCbook] MHz

Matthew Haas wedge at onlineimage.com
Mon Apr 10 16:10:19 CDT 2000

Greetings,

 I've read the new SPARCbook FAQ, v2.2, and I noticed something:

>   Point of interest: the SparcBooks 3 have interchangable processor
>   boards, I tested in on a 3GS and 3GX, but it most probabbly should
>   work also for the XP and TX. If you want to see the proper machine
>   name when booting, you should also change the help-processor board
>   (the board with the LCD display), as the serial number and computer
>   type are held there.

Are these interchangeable processor boards specific to the SPARCbook
series? Or is this some reference to microSPARC-II processors in general?
(ie if I want to 'downclock' my SPARCbook to 70MHz, can I get one of those
and slap it in?)

And since I have not yet taken apart my 3GX, I was wondering-- are there
any sort of jumpers in there, which could possibly set the CPU/SBUS speed?

>   One more point: if you have software protected by the host ID, or
>   ethernet ID, and your SparcBook breaks, you could use another one, as
>   long as your help-processor is working ok, so you take it out from the
>   broken computer and put it in the working one. That's way you have to
>   know how to open the case.

What is this 'help-processor'? Is it SPARCbook specific or can it be found
in other SPARCstations? Does my LX have one?

Thanks.

 -    |||       Atari 8-bit!  Star Wars * SPARCbook 3GX * SUMMER!!    -
-     |||      400/800/XL/XE  Battlestar: Galactica * SPARC * Linux    -
- |  | | |  | 2600/5200/7800  OpenBSD 2.6 * StarTrek * Galaga * SCSI   -
 - ||  |  ||     Lynx/Jaguar  Star Raiders * Descent * Voltron * UNIX -