[SPARCbook] Font problem.

Ari Heitner aheitner at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Nov 15 21:23:53 CST 1999

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Eric Busto wrote:

> Good day,
--snip--
>    Hmm, I thought, then I logged in and tried to start X up manually with
> /usr/X/bin/X, and it responded with the following:
>    "Fatal server error:  could not open default fond 'fixed'"
>
>    I found no reference to 'fixed' in any font directory to my knowledge,
> but I'm probably just lacking something simple and silly.  Any help would be
> much appreciated.
>
> -Eric

I think I know what's happening: you can't do that -- you don't have an
appropriate environment to start X with, namely you don't have a font path
set. You need to be using xinit to start X.

For a while I was using the standard Debian startx script (in the
xbase-clients package), which worked fine. Don't have a copy of the one
I'm using now (not on the SB3 at the moment).

Cheers,

Ari