[SPARCbook] re: linux on GX

Derrick J Brashear shadow at dementia.org
Wed Nov 3 15:11:00 CST 1999

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Richard S. Bunke wrote:

> > That would be me. X runs now, and I'm working on the uctrl support, but
> no
> > PCMCIA, or internal modem support yet. I've been checking the work into
> > current 2.3 kernels, but I'm at 2.3.5 since currently 2.3 won't run on
> > sparc32. I can make a kernel available somewhere if people care.
>
> I've been running your 2.3.5 kernel that you made availbale for about a
> month now and it works well ( except I don't think I got the 2.3.5 system
> map ) I was about to download the kernel source so I could play around
> with kernel code when I remembered reading this post.
>
> I was wondering if the sparc32 portions have been fixed in the current
> 2.3.24 or should just download 2.3.5?  (from my quick peek at the spark
> linux archive it looked like it wasn't fixed yet, but I thought would ask
> just to be sure =0)

at this point:
a) 2.3.24 won't work on sparc32 yet
b) the drivers i checked in have been modified to use the new sbus code
which doesn't yet work on sparc32
c) stock 2.3.5 plus my drivers apparently isn't good enough

as soon as i get back from a trip i'll bring up my sparcbook on the net
and put the source somewhere useful

-D