[SPARCbook] buzzing noise from ac power supply

E. Keith Howick, Jr. howick at siliconmetrics.com
Wed Dec 29 13:09:46 CST 1999

I've used DC-to-AC converters in my car for years with laptops and radios. The
hum exists because the AC-sine wave is artificial, created by a simple series of
square waves. It will stress your power supply. I'd recommend looking for a
better brand of converter. Higher quality converters use more square wave
frequencies and better filtering to smooth the artificial sine wave, that'll get
rid of the hum and stop stressing your power supply.

-Keith