[SPARCbook] Reviving a Dead SparcBook 3GS - stuck booting

Barry A. Dobyns barry at dobyns.com
Wed Dec 15 22:20:34 CST 1999

When we last spoke, I had my dead 3GS in pieces all over the table.

No suprise, my pieces looked almost exactly like the ones in http://www.scottyelich.com/sparcbook/memsaq/  but I haven't yet made
the sort of extreme modifications that are outlined there.  Unlike the memsaq, I went ahead and pulled the main screen connectors
off the motherboard, and as I mentioned before, I had to pull the CPU card off to get at the M4T28-BR12SH1

Okay, I unplugged the M4T28-BR12SH1 which, after careful study of the spec sheets, is simply the battery for the NVRAM, and it
"forgot" some (but not all) of it's settings, for instance still knows it's ethernet address and host ID (unlike a Sparc 1 which
stores it in the NVRAM).

Now it boots more completely, the screen lights up, and it shows the tadpole splash screen, and the memory countdown.  It thinks
it's in diagnostic mode and wants to boot off the net (of course), and I'll have to cope with that, but at least the screen works
again.  I'm thinking that maybe it was just some connector madness.

However, the keyboard is completely non-responsive - don't know whether I did it during disassembly or if this was part of the
original problem.  Can I just plug in a sun Type 4 or Type 5 keyboard?  That would be good to finish checking out whether the rest
of it works.

Making some progress here, finally.

-b