[SPARCbook] Reviving a Dead SparcBook 3GS - stuck booting

Barry A. Dobyns barry at dobyns.com
Wed Dec 15 16:05:48 CST 1999

Okay, so I cracked it open - unscrewed the base, pulled off the display, disconnected the display cables, took off the keyboard, and
pulled off the CPU card.

As long as I'm inside, does anyone have any experience "overclocking" a sparcbook?

Anyhoo, I'm still trying to revive the dead 3GS, and still operating on the "dead NVRAM/PROM conjecture":

Inside there's a (suprise!) a bunch of stuff, but the only thing that's socketed anywhere is a M4T28-BR12SH1 "Timekeeper" NVRAM
lithium battery.  And when I pull it off, it looks like just a battery that snaps on the top of the clock chip/NVRAM, which is an
M48T18.  Look up the parts at http://www.st.com, http://us.st.com/stonline/prodpres/memory/selector/mpge_a40.htm

The PROMs are __soldered down__ on the main board. And they're the tiny little surface mount SMT types - there's no chance I'll
replace them myself.

-b