[SPARCbook] Talking to a PCMCIA modem

Moe Pitman mpitman at three-sixteen.com
Sat Dec 11 03:52:08 CST 1999

After hours of diligent reading and experimentation, I have yet to get
my 3GX to talk to the Megahertz modem in slot 0.  The machine can see
it, and the /dev/cua/pc0 device is there, but it doesn't respond to
tip.  I enter:

# tip /dev/cua/pc0

and I receive the "connected" message, but at that point it locks up.
Only ejecting the modem will escape the tip command.

I suspect there is something wrong with the admintool serial settings
(which I set to match the example on the Tadpole site) or with the pc0
entry in the /etc/remote file.  If anyone can provide settings that are
known to work I'd be grateful.

The modem is a Megahertz XJ4288 28.8/14.4 Data/Fax model with a
"cellular" emblem on it.  It's the one that came with the unit from Ross
Pennington, so I suspect it once worked for somebody.

Thanks in advance,

--Moe Pitman