[SPARCbook] Need sparcbook2 solaris 1.0.1 gcc later than 2.1

Michael Lorenz ml at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Dec 8 17:37:19 CST 1999

Greetings ...

> >   Why don't you compile gcc or egcs yourself ? It may take some time but
> > you could let the machine run overnight or so...
>
> Been there, done that, and the original gcc 2.1 port has internal compiler
> errors and grinds to a screeching halt on 2.5.8, or 2.7.2.3.  It does
> compile simple things like make and bison and flex.  But, way down in
> gcc or anything really big, it halts.

Does it say anything useful ? I had some similar problem on a hp300 with netbsd
where big projects tended to end with an internal compiler error saying
"virtual memory exhausted" ( with 16MB RAM and 100MB swap... ) where a simple
limit off did the trick.

>  I am about ready to nuke that port
> and see if a build from the sunos cc compiler will at least get 2.5.8 up.

Would be worth a try as far as I see ( not that I have great knowledge of such
things... )

> To keep from having to reinvent the wheel the 5th time around, I was hoping
> something had been done by someone, somewhere, before.  An alternative
> might be a build on another sun box, and then transfer the output to the
> SparcBook.

I can't help here, my 3GX runs Solaris 2.6 - sorry.

> The SparcBook2 seems just iffy enough in parsing the gcc
> build trees for include files that it might be problematic because of
> hardware include diffs.  When I took the test build over to the sun4
> box for testing,  it seemed to get lost picking up on the correct includes
> and was missing some tadpole specific things.  So, any pointers or such
> to any precompiles might be still appropriate.   What will egcs or 2.9.5.2
> do on a sunos 4.1.2 box that I should run it over 2.5.8 or 2.7.2.3?

Hmm, when you use c++ or objective-C then you would certainly want something
above 2.7

bye
Michael