[SPARCbook] Need sparcbook2 solaris 1.0.1 gcc later than 2.1

BSD Bob bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Tue Dec 7 15:16:35 CST 1999

> Greetings !

Greetings.....

> > Anyone know where I might find a precompiled solaris 1 (or sunos 4.x)
> > gcc 2.5.8 or 2.7.2.3?  I need to update the compiler on my SparcBook2
> > (version gcc 2.1) which has some bugs compiling things like GnuPlot.

>   Why don't you compile gcc or egcs yourself ? It may take some time but
> you could let the machine run overnight or so...

Been there, done that, and the original gcc 2.1 port has internal compiler
errors and grinds to a screeching halt on 2.5.8, or 2.7.2.3.  It does
compile simple things like make and bison and flex.  But, way down in
gcc or anything really big, it halts.  I am about ready to nuke that port
and see if a build from the sunos cc compiler will at least get 2.5.8 up.
To keep from having to reinvent the wheel the 5th time around, I was hoping
something had been done by someone, somewhere, before.  An alternative
might be a build on another sun box, and then transfer the output to the
SparcBook.  The SparcBook2 seems just iffy enough in parsing the gcc
build trees for include files that it might be problematic because of
hardware include diffs.  When I took the test build over to the sun4
box for testing,  it seemed to get lost picking up on the correct includes
and was missing some tadpole specific things.  So, any pointers or such
to any precompiles might be still appropriate.   What will egcs or 2.9.5.2
do on a sunos 4.1.2 box that I should run it over 2.5.8 or 2.7.2.3?

Bob