[rescue] Sun Solaris questions...

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Sat Mar 30 23:17:47 CDT 2019

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 08:31:48PM -0600, Bob Darlington wrote:
> I recently resurrected my old Sun Ultra 2 dual 300MHz box.  This involved
> cutting down into the NVRAM chip and attaching an external battery, finding
> a 13W3  to VGA adapter, etc.
>
> It's running Solaris 10 on a 9GB internal disk with 256 MB RAM.
>
> I see that 11.4 is supported on the Ultra 2, but the minimum recommended
> system memory is 4GB -twice the max for this system, and a whole lot more
> than what I have.

It is? Where do you read that?

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37838_01/html/E60973/glmru.html

"Oracle Solaris 11.4 supports systems based on the Oracle SPARC T4 or later processors; the Fujitsu SPARC64 X, X+, or XII processors; or x64 CPUs supporting either the Intel EM64T or AMD AMD64 instruction sets."

You need a *lot* newer SPARC system to run 11.4.