[rescue] DECstation 3100 serial console / running OSF/1

Dennis Grevenstein dennis.grevenstein at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 13:45:30 CDT 2019

Hi,

Dave McGuire wrote:
> Wow, this brings back some memories. I ran DS3100s as DNS servers,
> Kerberos servers, and all sorts of other little tasks at Digex years and
> years ago. Great little machines in just about every way.

Yes, I also have a certain devotion to DEC MIPS hardware as well
as ULTRIX. I always liked ULTRIX, even though I know that it took
its time to mature and early releases were really bad and buggy.
But I never ran any of these machines when they were new. I have
just collected them years later.

> Did you get this problem sorted? I'm planning to unearth a couple of
> DS3100s in the coming weeks for the new exhibit floor at the museum.
> I will be able to read EPROMs, etc while I'm cleaning them up and
> getting them running.

No, I have not found a solution yet. I guess having updated PROMs
might help, so if you have the time, I would appreciate having
some images of a firmware release >= 7.

BTW: I am also looking for DECstation 5000/200 memory, if
anybody happens to have some.

thanks,
Dennis