[rescue] Sun 3 with SCSI2SD

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Mon Mar 18 07:22:22 CDT 2019

" From: Earl Baugh <earl at baugh.org>
"
" Howdy,
"
" Wondering if anyone has used a SCSI2SD card with a Sun 3 class machine. I know
" Walter B has had success with the Sun 2( that's next on my list after I get
" the Sun 3/110 working with one. )
"
" I have some Version 5 of the card. (I also have a version 3 card that I tried
" long ago, with little success). The new current firmware is much more
" understandable in terms of setting it up.
" However with a known good image ( obtained from Walter B) I can't get it to
" go past the message "Waiting for disk to spin up..."
" followed by "Please start it, if necessary , - OR - press a key to quit."
"
" I know the card doesn't need to spin up p so question is, what is the
" boot prom waiting for? I expect it's just something off in my config but so
" far everything I've tried yields the same result.

not sure how this relates, but hds have a jumper i always set, to spin
up on first access instead of poweron; my thinking was that the load
on the ps was never higher than at poweron and this would reduce the
surge by a meaningful fraction while adding only seconds to cold boot.

could there be a 'ready' signal/message the disk returns to the obp?