[rescue] 360 from Nuremberg

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 04:28:22 CDT 2019

On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 at 08:05, Arno Kletzander <Arno_1983 at gmx.de> wrote:

> I'm just a tiny bit disappointed that all of this took place about 5mi from
my
> dwelling and the posts on berklix and here were the first things I ever
heard
> about the whole affair. I'd have been more than willing to lend a hand or
> pitch in with some money had I only known, having been fascinated with
LJW's
> story ever since I read it, and having brought a descendent of that line
(IBM
> 4331) in need of rescue to the attention of Hans Franke, subsequently also
> helping with the dismantling and reassembly, in my larval stages.

I know what you mean. My work HQ is in NC<rnberg and I am there quite
regularly, and I know Lawrence (slightly!) in person -- we've met a
couple of times. I too would have visited to help.

As I understand it, the rescue is affiliated with TNMoC at Bletchley
Park. I have previously encountered some mutual hostility between the
retrocomputing hobbyist community and some of the computer museums.
E.g. some hobbyists disapprove of changes to rare machines to get them
running for display, whereas the museums may regard hobbyists as
competition.

(In parallel fields, many people in retro video gaming are hostile to
retro games hardware collectors, some of whom won't allow rare
software or hardware to be studied or copied as they fear losing
exclusivity. And computer collectors hate keyboard collectors, as they
break up systems because they only want the keyboards to use with
modern PCs, and modify the keyboards for such use, rendering them
useless to the original systems...)

UK: +44 7939-087884 - DR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053