[rescue] ?? Sun Ultra5 emulation, was: more sun2 adventures!

Steve Rikli sr at genyosha.net
Tue Jan 8 18:58:12 CST 2019

On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 07:38:02PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On 1/8/19 4:15 PM, JP Hindin wrote:
> >> An Ultra-5 disk will work as-is in an Ultra-10 - direct transplant. I
> >> only mention this as my 20-year-old overclocked (472MHz) Ultra-10, still
> >> fully working, went to a new home and owner in December, after serving me
> >> faithfully for 14 years.
> >
> > I did not know this - while I have a large array of Suns, the work I've
> > done with them has actually been limited to very specific tasks and
> > there's mountains of stuff that is "duh" to any Sun admin that I'm
> > clueless about.
>
>   Unless I'm misremembering, the Ultra5 (not SPARCstation-5) and Ultra10
> are the same machine in a different chassis.

You're not misremembering -- that's indeed the deal.

Iirc the Ultra10 may have been sold for a while with faster UltraSPARC-II
CPUs as an option (440MHz, I think?), and possibly higher-density DIMMs(?),
which weren't available then in the Ultra5, but I think they eventually
caught up again there too.

And you could certainly install the faster CPUs in Ultra5 -- I ran several
like that for a while.

Someone told once that the Ultra10 had easier drive bays for more than
1 HDD, but I don't recall that being the case.  And fwiw there were option
brackets for 2nd HDD in the Ultra5 that took the place of the FDD bracket
which served that duty pretty nicely.

Cheers,
sr.