[rescue]   Sun Ultra5 emulation, was: more sun2 adventures!

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Tue Jan 8 16:20:33 CST 2019

Hi

Yep, the 10s tend to be rarer and hence more expensive and will I guess
increase as they become harder to find...

Peter

Sent from my iPad

> On 8 Jan 2019, at 21:15, JP Hindin <jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 8 Jan 2019, Mike Spooner wrote:
>> An Ultra-5 disk will work as-is in an Ultra-10 - direct transplant. I
>> only mention this as my 20-year-old overclocked (472MHz) Ultra-10, still
>> fully working, went to a new home and owner in December, after serving me
>> faithfully for 14 years.
>
> I did not know this - while I have a large array of Suns, the work I've done
with them has actually been limited to very specific tasks and there's
mountains of stuff that is "duh" to any Sun admin that I'm clueless about.

> I appreciate this tip. I did a quick sniff for U10 prices and it looks like
they're even higher than the U5s ($200-$700, depending on what idiot you're
asking), but you never know when/where machines will turn up.