[rescue] Sun Ultra5 emulation, was: more sun2 adventures!

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Tue Jan 8 10:50:35 CST 2019

QEMU will emulate a sparc and you can run the SSP software on anything,
even Sparc 5s or 20s.

https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/SPARC

When I was a wee lad we were told that the E10Ks just used JTAG and then it
was JTAG encapsulated over TCP/IP once the Controllers in the E10K booted
far enough and saw the SSPs.

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 4:39 PM JP Hindin <jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Jan 2019, Walter Belgers wrote:
> > harddisk, using the tme Sun emulator and original tapes. I have played
> some
> > more with tme, to try to install other versions of SunOS on a virtual
> disk. It
> > turns out that tme is - even after patching - quite picky. I could not
> do a
>
> Greetings all;
>
> The post by Walter had me thinking laterally and I wanted to query the
> list for thoughts. I hadn't even heard of tme, so I didn't know there was
> a viable Sun emulator - although based on tme's documentation and Walter's
> mail, it appears it is finicky.
>
> Is there software that would allow me to emulate a Sun Ultra 5 running
> Solaris 7? I'd be willing to pay for it - although probably not $Infinite.
> The Sun E10k uses an Ultra 5 as a front end system (SSP, System Service
> Processor) and I've gone through two of them over the last few years (bad
> PSU, and I'm not sure what's going on this time). While most of the SSP
> tools are just fairly simple daemons sending commands via an ethernet
> interface and I'm confident could be rewritten based on sniffing, I'm not
> sure I'm that brave.
>
> But an emulator that would allow me to boot up a working disk image and
> supported networking would be wonderful. I can lose x86 boxes to my
> heart's content and never feel bad about it. Replacement parts are (for
> the foreseeable future) plentiful, and so on.
>
> Does such a thing conveniently exist?
>
> My thanks;
>
>   - JP

-Jon