[rescue] Help with Sun 3's

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Wed Jan 2 10:46:12 CST 2019

On Wed, Jan 02, 2019 at 04:33:48PM +0000, Daniel Salive wrote:
> I was going to try testing memory, but I ran into another issue right away!
> Pulling the ram on these is diffcult.  There's a special tool online, but I
> don't think that it would solve my problem completely - at least not by
> itself.  It seems that the contacts stick to the SIMMS extremely well,

It was extremely difficult to remove the SIMMs from a Sun3 when they
were new.  Its not "sticktion", they are wedged in their tight to make
sure they still contact after being moved around and such. I always
like SIPPs better, but that was such a short lived phase in the
computer world. DIMMs were so much easier.

I always felt like I was going to break things when changing memory.

The best way in the past was that I took my curved needle nosed pliers
and pulled up on a corner. Then again, I also crushed one or two
bypass caps this way too, so you do have to be extremely careful (I
didn't realize I was near the bypass caps). But I could repair those.

The various SIMM removal tools worked so-so. None did a really good job.