[rescue] Ultra 24 BIOS / Gbe configuration

sawbona at gmx.net sawbona at gmx.net
Sat Feb 16 05:59:07 CST 2019

Hello:

I have an Ultra 24 Workstation running under Devuan ASCII. (*)

Even though the BIOS has no user or system passwords set I cannot access the
on-board
Gbe settings, as they are greyed out. ie: blocked

This means that I cannot disable WoL or change the power management settings
for the
on-board Intel 82566DM-2 Gbe controller in the BIOS.

I need to be able to change these settings to see if I can solve a shutdown
problem that
seems to be related to WoL and EEE.

I cannot understand the reason behind the Gbe settings being blocked from
administrator
control nor have I seen this in any other machine I have had, but if the Ultra
24 BIOS (v. 1.56)
reports the system as being a "portable device", I guess I can expect almost
anything.

~$ inxi -b
System: Host: devuan Kernel: 4.9.0-8-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3
Distro: Devuan GNU/Linux ascii
Machine: Device: portable   <------------ !!!
System: Sun Microsystems product: Ultra 24 v: 0.00.01
Mobo: Sun Microsystems model: Ultra 24 v: 50
BIOS: American Megatrends v: 1.56 date: 01/21/2011
CPU: Quad core Intel Core2 Quad Q9550
~$

Q: does anyone on the list have any idea as to how to unblock Gbe access in
BIOS?

Thanks in advance.

U24

(*) Assuming that two lists have two different set of members and hoping I've
not done
something improper, I have also posted this request on the sunhelp list.