[rescue] Sun 386i

Walter Belgers walter+rescue at belgers.com
Mon Feb 11 11:28:51 CST 2019

Hi,

> On 11 Feb 2019, at 17:03, alan at alanlee.org wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can get the latest SunOS 4.0.2 for 386i and

I can help you with that (see private mail).

> accompanying SunView and VP/ix software?  Would be an interesting box to
> play around with.  Also is there any technical information about the
> pin-out for video/keyboard?  It did not come with a cable adapter for a
> Type 4 + RGB(+HV?)

Hm. I also have a model 250. I can not really recall how I used it, but it
came with a 19b
 screen, so probably with a keyboard. I would take a look,
but the system is behind a huge pile of electronics (working on a TTL
microcomputer-without-microprocessor project called Gigatron).

Mine came with the original boxes with SunOS for 386i (on floppy). I think
SunOS for 386i was also available on tape. SunOS 4.0.2 is the latest, it is an
upgrade to 4.0.0 (as is 4.0.1).

I found out the hard way that if your NVRAM battery has died on a 386i, the
hostid and ethernet address will not be reset to 0xffffff / ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff.
So you might think the battery is still okay, but it is not and result is that
you get all kinds of weird problems like the system booting ok but the network
not working.