[rescue] Sun 386i

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Mon Feb 11 11:24:28 CST 2019

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:33:21AM -0500, Mouse wrote:
> I don't _think_ video was also on the keyboard/mouse connector, but
> it's been a long time since I messed with a RoadRunner.  It certainly
> wasn't on the Sun-2 and Sun-3 lines.

It looks like the 386i had some frame-buffers with keyboard & video on
them both, but the connector from the handbook looks bigger than a
DA15, which would definately what a Type-4 keyboard would have used
that came with this system. The handbook also doesn't describe the
pinout as far as I can find.

http://www.imhans.com:1004/syshbk/Systems/Sun3/VIDGRA_20_386i-Mono.html
http://www.imhans.com:1004/syshbk/Systems/Sun3/VIDGRA_21_386i-Color.html
http://www.imhans.com:1004/syshbk/Systems/Sun3/VIDGRA_22_386i-GXi.html
http://www.imhans.com:1004/syshbk/Systems/Sun3/VIDGRA_23_386i-SunVGA.html

Also, AFAIK, the SunVGA card was a means to display a DOS window running in a
DOS emulator on the main screen.

Ie. read the review here.

http://www.armadillosoft.com/dw/dispart.php?theArticle=sun386i&theType=full

At least with the handbook entries above (go to
http://www.imhans.com:1004/syshbk/Systems/Sun3/, search for the 386i
string), the OP would be able to figure out what boards/options are in the system.