[rescue] Trying to get Cadmus 9200 running (serial console trouble)

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Wed Feb 6 02:16:19 CST 2019

>> I retried it. it's less consistent than I remembered.
>>
>> Aaa at a@aa at aa@aaaaaaAaA at AAaAa@aAcssssbscsbbsbbsbssbd``DD at d@`@d`d at d@ddD at D@`@`dDDDddfDfDDfDdDfffDf
>>
>> ``qqqqqqqqqaaq`qqqqa`a`aqqqqq`qaq`qvwwwwwvwwwwwgwvwwwvwwwwwADeDe at eAe@eDDaDdaeEeaeaDae`eDED
>
>    Hmmm.  Is it possible that it's a differential serial line, like RS423
> or similar?  If that's the case, if the other line of the differential
> pair isn't grounded, I've seen exactly this sort of behavior.

Docs say it's standard RS-232. There is an option card for 20mA current loop that has + and -
for both Rx ja Rx but that is clearly with a separate conversion adapter only.

Perhaps I just got some not connected pin to PC side Rx and the cable picked up some noise?
But that seems unlikely as RS-232 should not pick up anything below +-3V and "antenna" should
not induce volatages over 3V here, I think.

--
Meelis Roos <mroos at linux.ee>