[rescue] Sun DiskSuite RAID problems

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Sat Apr 27 17:46:30 CDT 2019

    Good evening,

On 4/27/19 2:18 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> I would strongly suggest using ddrescue to image the "Maintenance" state
> drive.

    I may look into this to grab an(other) image of the "Maintenance"
disk. but I've already imaged that with plain old "dd" successfully.
My issue is with the truly dead one that's in "last erred".

> I had a big problem once, RAID1 pair that died on me.  Not only were the
> drive the same make and model but were consecutive serial numbers!
>
> I used ddrescue to move the drives to another system and only lost 32KB of
> data across 200+GB of data. Never figured out what it was, maybe part of an
> image, a man page, etc. However everything came up and worked after that.

    In your case, it's possible that it was an "empty" part of the file-
system and you'll never know.  I've got a big fat RAID-5 I need to
stitch back together and then a bunch of sort partitions contained
thereupon.  It's a mess.

    Cheers!