[rescue] reading old unix disks from Linux

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Fri Apr 26 06:59:49 CDT 2019

> Linux often will see a drive as multiple partitions,
> like sdc1 sdc2 sdc3 sdc4, but no linux partion tool
> I've found shows me what the boundaries actually are,
> for example parted might say
>    Number  Start  End    Size   File system  Flags
>     1      0.00B  105MB  105MB  sun-ufs
>
> on a disk with as many as 7 partitions.
>
> How do I see what the partitions actually are?

Try cat /proc/partitions

There should me some output format or something like that for fdisk and
parted/gparted but I do not have any old unix disk online to check at the moment.

> Some stuff won't mount.
>
> So, I have disks of unknown partitions. Some of them are probably swap.
> How do I tell?

man mount and look for ufstype (old, 44bsd, ufs2, 5xbsd, sun, sunx86
hp, nextstep, nextstep-cd, openstep).

--
Meelis Roos <mroos at linux.ee>