[rescue] Sun Blade 2500/V250 motherboards - common problem?

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Mon Nov 26 08:33:23 CST 2018

Hi All

This one has been kicking around in my head for a long time and so far no
obvious resolution.

The Blade 2500 motherboard (and the V250, same motherboard) appear to have a
death wish problem. A perfectly working board left for a while, when fired up
just spins all the fans and that is it, no output or anything useful. You can
change CPU/memory/PSU etc and still nothing.

This behaviour was reported to me some years ago on a batch of around 100
units, where the guy would ship some them working and on receipt, the above
issue. (not on all, just a significant few)

I have recently had a similar situation where boards all tested, after
shipping just would not come up correctly.

Latest is one I have had in store for around 2 months, all tested with VTS,
then on powerup, again just the fans. Have swapped all components, but no
response. Happy to believe it is a power/crystal issue, just wondered if
anyone had come across this and resolved it?

Thanks

Peter