[rescue] advise on Sun2 disk install

Walter Belgers walter+rescue at belgers.com
Sun Nov 25 07:59:37 CST 2018

Hi,

> On 24 Nov 2018, at 18:05, Jon <jlo at ludd.ltu.se> wrote:
> The 3Com board has a much smaller packet buffer, which can play badly with
> NFS as the server overloads the client. At least on NetBSD, see:
> http://www.netbsd.org/ports/sun2/faq.html
<http://www.netbsd.org/ports/sun2/faq.html>

Thanks. Now it makes sense what Ibm seeing.
While looking through my list of spare VME (not mbus) board I found a 501-1153
(VME to multibus adapter) with a 501-1004 Sun Ethernet mbus board! So I *do*
have a spare.

I still feel miserable for destroying the other one with a rookie mistake. I
do not have the capability to repair it, if anybody else wants to try, I can
give the board to you. What happened is that just above the cable connector,
the PCB burned away so that was probably a short that caused a lot of current
to flow. I canbt see any other obvious damage to components.

With the Sun ethernet card, the system boots from the network again. Now I
need to find out how to use /usr/mdec/installboot to install boot blocks on
the Micropolis disk. Cannot find any good info on this.. Maybe the Micropolis
1375 is too big for Sun2?

Walter.

(booted via ndbootd from an NFS partition, Micropolis disk is sd0, already
newfsbd and checked with fsck)
# mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
# cd /usr/mdec
# cp /usr/stand/boot.sun2 /mnt/boot
# installboot -vt /mnt/boot bootsd /dev/rsd0a
Primary boot: bootsd
Secondary boot: /mnt/boot
Boot device: /dev/rsd0a
Not a superblock
# chroot /mnt /bin/sh
# cd /usr/mdec
# installboot -vt /boot bootsd /dev/rsd0a
Primary boot: bootsd
Secondary boot: /boot
Boot device: /dev/rsd0a
Not a superblock