[rescue] SCSI solutions for Sparcstation Voyager

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Mon Nov 19 10:56:12 CST 2018

Steve Hatle wrote on 11/11/18 6:17 PM:
> Yes - he was thinking of ADTX...
>
> This thread reminded me of the fact that some late model Powerbooks had
> these adapters. A trip to the basement of doom this afternoon turned up
> a Powerbook that had an ADTX adapter in it with a 2GB Toshiba drive. The
> IDE drive was bad, but more digging turned up a 6.4GB laptop drive.
> Plugged the two together and into the Voyager, and now probe-scsi is
> showing the ADTX device at SCSI ID 3.
>
> So - now off to find some install media...
>
> I need to deal with the IDPROM, and may still consider a SCSI2SD, but
> that's a little more back-burner now.
>
> Thanks to all of you for the discussion and the reminder that provided
> the solution!
>
> Steve

OK - Voyager has a 6GB disk via ADTX adapter, a refurbed IDPROM battery
via Glitchworks (http://www.glitchwrks.com/2017/08/01/gw-48t02-1 - I
used his 48t08 board) and a fresh install of OpenBSD 5.9. All is good!

One thing, though... the LED on the front of the machine is flashing
while it's running. I can't find any doc that say why that might be,
except a note in the service manual that says that LED will be lit if
"the machine is running normally". All the diags pass as best I can
tell, and as I say the machine runs fine, so it's an annoyance more than
anything else. I need to dig to find my Field Engineer's Guide, but
thought perhaps the collective might have an insight.

I forgot how much I liked this guy! Now to get #2 back up and running.
That one has NeXTSTEP on the HD :-)

Steve