[rescue]  Re: SPARCclassic restoration

Mike Spooner mike.spooner.ux at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 07:12:19 CDT 2018

I've seen this "mystery sudden poweroff after POST" on a couple of
SPARCclassics a few years back. A replacement PSU fixed one of them but
not the other :-(.

I suppose the obvious belt-and-braces thing to check is the RAM SIMMs -
must be installed in pairs, try with just a single pair of 16Mb SIMMs,
one each in the 1st and 4th slots counting from the SBus end of the
chassis, and swap-in any other 16Mb 72-pin parity SIMMs you have lying
around to see if that helps.

Of course, it could still be a PSU issue... If you remove the internal
HDD, does it try to boot off the net after POST?

Out of curiosity, what did you have to do to the PSU to get this far?

-- Mike Spooner